34 passengers cheat death

24 Apr, 2019 - 18:04 0 Views
34  passengers cheat death


. . .  Greyhound catches fire in Beitbridge

Thupeyo Muleya Beitbridge Bureau

Thirty-four people cheated death early yesterday in the morning when a Greyhound cross-border bus they were travelling in caught fire at the 35km peg along the Beitbridge-Bulawayo road.

The incident occurred in Mtetengwe area at around 7am when the bus was travelling from South Africa to Bulawayo with 34 people on board.

The police officer commanding Beitbridge district Chief Superintendent Tichaona Nyongo said the matter was still under further investigations.

“According to the preliminary information we have, the bus was travelling towards Bulawayo from South Africa with 34 passengers,” he said.

“When it got to the 298km peg along the Bulawayo-Beitbridge road (35km out of Beitbridge town) the driver realised that the dashboard lights had suddenly gone off.

“He then checked on his rear view mirror and noted some flames coming from the back where the engine is located, prompting him to stop the bus.

“He immediately opened all the doors for the passengers to disembark. Fortunately, no one was harmed, but the bus and the trailer carrying an assortment of goods were reduced to shells.”

The incident comes a few months after 42 people were burnt to death while 27 others sustained injuries after a Musina-bound bus they were travelling in caught fire near West Nicholson in November last year.

The Brooklyn Bus accident which occurred at the 181 kilometres peg along the Bulawayo-Beitbridge Road, is suspected to have been caused by a gas cylinder that exploded.

The bus which was carrying mostly cross border traders, was travelling from Zvishavane to Musina in South Africa.

In January this year, six people, among them two minors, were burnt to death when a Ford Bantum they were travelling in veered off the road, hit a tree and caught fire at the 35 km peg along the Beitbridge-Masvingo road.

The vehicle was travelling from South Africa heading for Chitungwiza when tragedy struck soon after leaving Beitbridge Border Post.

Share This:

Sponsored Links