6 in court over Masekesa assault

13 Jun, 2018 - 15:06 0 Views
6 in court over Masekesa assault


13 June 2018


…cops, soldiers, council cops nabbed


TWO police officers, two soldiers and two Mutare municipal police officers who allegedly kidnapped and assaulted a freelance journalist over allegations of cheating with their colleague’s girlfriend have been remanded in custody pending bail hearing.

Saul Tomu (53), Penelock Majonhi (41), Everson Mark Marozva (33), Hope Mwaipa (33) Joachim Runyanga (35) and John Takaendesa (42) were not asked to plead to assault and kidnap charges when they appeared before Mutare Magistrate Perseverance Makala yesterday.

They were remanded in custody to today for bail hearing.

Mwaipa and Runyanga are soldiers while Majoni and Marozva are traffic police officers with Tomu and Takaendesa being Mutare municipal cops.

The six are facing assault and kidnapping or unlawful detention charges as defined in Section 93 (1) (b) (ii) of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act Chapter 9:23.

Fletcher Karombe prosecuted while Mutare lawyers, Passmore Nyakureba and Innocent Mandikate represented the suspects.

Allegations were that the complainant, Clayton Masekesa went to Tomu’s residence at 27 Robert Mugabe Road, Hospital Hill, Mutare to meet Tomu’s girlfriend Melanda Konde who had asked him to visit her.

“While at the house, Mwaipa and Runyanga asked Masekesa what he was doing at Tomu’s house in the latter’s absence. They then handcuffed Masekesa while Takaendesa video recorded the proceedings using his cell phone and used a baton and hands several times to assault Masekesa all over the body. The three then ordered Masekesa to roll over wet mud.

“Tomu, Majonhi and Marozva came with a police Mitsubishi motor vehicle REG ZRP 093E and joined in assaulting Masekesa accusing him of being in a love affair with Konde,” said Karombe.

They then forced him to board the police vehicle which was being driven by Majonhi to Mutare Civic Centre. Upon arrival they further assaulted him and released him thereafter.

Masekesa went to Mutare Central Police Station where he made a police report of assault and kidnapping resulting in the arrest of the suspects and subsequent appearance in court.


(Tendai Gukutikwa – Mutare Correspondent)

Share This:

Sponsored Links