22 Nov, 2021 - 10:11 0 Views
ALL-PLATINUM FINAL! Coaches Tonderai Ndiraya and Norman Mapeza


Blessing Malinganiza, Sports Reporter

THE largely anticipated all-platinum Chibuku Super Cup final was confirmed yesterday.
FC Platinum got the better of Dynamos in extra time at the National Sports Stadium to book a date with Ngezi Platinum in the final.

FC Platinum players walk off after victory over Dynamos on Sunday

Ngezi claimed a 1-0 win over Cranborne Bullets at the National Sports Stadium on Saturday.

Yesterday’s decider came in the 104th minute through Innocent Chimucheka’s long range free kick which a badly positioned Taimon Mvula
failed to stop.

Action during the match

The closest Dynamos got to restoring parity was when Maliselo scored with his hand but his effort was rightly denied by referee Brighton Chimene.

FC Platinum coach, Norman Mapeza was happy with his boys’ performance.

Ndiraya and Mapeza

“It was a good game of football. I think in terms of our movements and the possession, it was brilliant.


“The only challenge we had was creativity in the final third. I think in the first half, as much as we kept the ball, we were not all that creative in the final third.

Action during the match

“In the second half I think it was a little bit better and I am proud of my boys.

“We worked so hard, it wasn’t easy out there.

“At the end of the day I think we have accomplished the hardest part, which is qualifying for the final. “So we just wait for the final. I am happy also that this is my third final in the Chibuku Super Cup.

“I won once and lost once and I am in a third final. So for me I think it’s a good record.

“I can only talk about when I know exactly when we are going to play the game, for now I would rather concentrate on what will happen next week,” said Mapeza.

Dynamos coach Tonderai Ndiraya reckons the game was difficult for them but is happy with how his boys fought.

“It was a very difficult match for us but I thought we gave a very good account of ourselves.

“But what is important at the end of the day is the result and we didn’t get that.

“We had a plan, we knew our opponent would come and dominate position that’s what they did in the first half and it was the same in the first quarter of the second half.

“But I thought we then changed tactics we also were there. I thought we also had an upper hand, we had some good opportunities to score, it’s so sad that we had to go out this way particularly after conceding the first goal of the tournament in open play.

“I feel sorry for my players, for Tiamon he is the same player who took us this far.

“As a coach I feel sorry for him, I thought he had done very well to keep us in the game but unfortunately it was a well taken free kick we can’t really fault him for that.

“I think the taker took it very well but I’m proud of the team by the way they went of their business.

“Today we had to push more bodies forward after going down with that well taken free kick, I thought we really showed some hunger, some
power to try and get back in the game.

“I thought we also had some few shouts which didn’t go our way from the referee, so many of them I thought most of the challenges didn’t go
our way, some I thought were going to be a good opportunity for us to score but it’s what we can’t control as players and coaches we just have to focus on league matches.

“So yeah I’m proud of the boys, I think I said it in my prematch interview that we are playing a team that has been together for some time, they’ve been to champions league, they’ve got a team and we are trying to be a team.

“But I think we are getting there judging by the way we then took the game to them, that is what’s giving us hope.

“For us to get this far was through hard-work from everyone it’s unfortunate we had to lose in front of our supporters who tried to come and
cheer their team on.

“But I am happy with how the team performed in the whole tournament, I’m quite impressed we can only improve and get better in more games.

“Our focus is now on the league games that are coming,” he said.

He added:

“We knew that we were going to lose one day and I think we were prepared mentally for that.

“We spoke to our players and I think it’s going to show our character losing after 13 games, how we are going to pick ourselves from this setback.

“I want to take this as a temporary setback but it’s something we want to see and measure if our team is really strong mentally.

“They’re league games which are coming shortly and we would really need to recover quickly and get back to winning ways again.

“But it’s really been difficult for us, to analyze the whole tournament we are the only team from Harare which played 13 games to date and we were competing against teams who played four less.

So I think this had taken its toll on the boys.”

Share This:

Sponsored Links