BODY TO BE EXHUMED AFTER SUDDEN TURN OF EVENTS. . . Graveside speech casts some light on murder

Arron Nyamayaro

THE body of a suspected cellphone thief, who was viciously assaulted by eight men in Kuwadzana and died six days later, is set to be exhumed after a graveside speech suggested he was murdered.

A witness, Cleopas Magugu, told mourners at Glanville Cemetery he was there when the late Younger Changadeya was savagely attacked at Kuwadzana Shopping Centre.

He had been accused of stealing a cellphone.

No police report was made at the time, but the case is now being investigated as suspected murder.

The family of the deceased lodged a police report after Magugu’s revelation.

Younger’s body is expected to be exhumed for a post-mortem.

Acting Harare provincial police spokesperson, Assistant Inspector Faith Mapisa, confirmed the investigation.

“On January 4 at around 9am, the older brother of the now deceased arrived at a house in Mbare from Glen View and found him sleeping.

“He enquired if everything was alright and the now deceased was reported to have told him that he was fine and never disclosed anything.

“On January 6, the older brother was told that the now deceased had been taken to Sally Mugabe Hospital since his health was deteriorating and, on January 8, he passed away.

“Relatives proceeded to Sally Mugabe Hospital police post where they stated that they did not suspect any foul play and the burial order was issued and the deceased was buried at Mbudzi cemetery the following day.”

She added:

“The matter came to light at the cemetery during burial when one of the mourners revealed seeing the now deceased being assaulted by about eight people at Kuwadzana 2 Shops on an unknown date accusing him of stealing a cellphone.

“Upon checking medical reports, it was established that the now deceased was assaulted.”

Family spokesperson, Mathew Changadeya, told H-Metro that he had lodged a police report .

“Parufu panetunyaya nyaya tunotaurika saka umwe wehukama akanzwa zvekurohwa kwemufi,” said Mathew.

“The person narrated what he saw and we lodged a police report soon after burial and the case is now under investigation.

“My brother died six days after the assault, he never disclosed to any relative.

“He was reported to have visited Kuwadzana with his friends where he was assaulted.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *