Ex-Energy minister, ZESA bosses nabbed

09 Jan, 2019 - 13:01 0 Views
Ex-Energy minister, ZESA bosses nabbed


9 January 2019

Former Minister of Energy and Power Development and ZESA bosses were yesterday dragged to court answering to charges of criminal abuse of office.

The trio of Joshua Chifamba, Elton Mangoma and Tererai Mutasa, were not asked to plead when they appeared before Harare magistrate Ruramai Chitumbura.

They were released on $1000 bail each coupled with other stringent conditions including to report every Friday at their nearest police station, to surrender their travel documents and not to interfere with State witnesses.

It is the State case that sometime in 2011, ZESA Enterprises entered into a $3 million technology transfer agreement with Techpro Private Limited of South Korea for the manufacturing of switch gears.

The trio is alleged to have connived to bypass the approval by the Inter-Ministerial Committee on privatization of Parastatals and the competitive bidding process.

They allegedly opted to apply certain provisions of the Public Finance Act as a means to show favor and making sure that Techpro would automatically become the partner in the technology transfer agreement.

Consequently, they unlawfully recommended and approved the business proposal plan without the due diligence required by law.

The trio’s alleged action resulted in ZESA paying the initial payment of US$850 000 to Techpro however, the deliverables which the agreement sought to achieve were not met in the five year period.

The resulted in questions being asked by the State Procurement Board and the successive ministers after Mangoma concerning the approval of the agreement.

Joshua Chifamba is currently employed as the ZESA Holdings Chief Executive Officer, Elton Mangoma is the former minister of Energy from 2010 to 2013 and Tererai Mutasa who is the current Managing Director of ZESA Enterprises which is a subsidiary company of ZESA Holdings.

The State was represented by Special Unit prosecutor Zivanai Macharaga and the matter was remanded to January 22.




Share This:

Sponsored Links