FROM SUPERSTAR TO A MONSTER SEX PEST

LONDON. The BBC, Channel 4 and a production firm have said they are investigating after allegations that Russell Brand sexually assaulted four women.

The comedian and actor has been accused of rape and sexual assaults between 2006 and 2013, which he denies.

The allegations form part of a report published by the Times, Sunday Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches.

It also included claims about his behaviour towards women and his workplace conduct over the same period.

Brand worked as a radio presenter for the BBC between 2006 and 2008. The BBC said it was “urgently looking into the issues raised” by the allegations. Channel 4, where Brand also worked as a presenter, announced an internal investigation.

Although the alleged assaults are not said to have taken place on BBC or Channel 4 premises, the claims have raised questions for the broadcasters and the wider industry.

The Times quoted sources claiming a complaint was previously made to BBC management about an “alarming display of aggression and disrespect” from Brand.

During the period in question, Brand worked for two years as a presenter on 6 Music and Radio 2, hosted Big Brother’s Big Mouth on Channel 4’s sister station E4, and launched his Hollywood movie career.

On Sunday, the Times published a first-hand account from the woman who accused Brand of rape in Los Angeles in 2012.

It later reported that since Saturday, more women have come forward with allegations about Brand’s behaviour, which have not yet been investigated but “will now be rigorously checked”.

‘Very serious allegations’

Endemol, the company behind shows Brand appeared on in the mid-noughties such as Big Brother’s Big Mouth, was bought by Banijay UK in 2020.

It said it was aware of the “very serious allegations” relating to the “alleged serious misconduct of Russell Brand while presenting shows produced by Endemol”. It said it had launched an “urgent” internal investigation.

Channel 4 said it had “asked the production company who produced the programmes for Channel 4 to investigate these allegations and report their findings properly and satisfactorily to us”.

The broadcaster added it was conducting its own internal investigation, and encouraged “anyone who is aware of such behaviour to contact us directly.”

The statement added: “We will be writing to all our current suppliers reminding them of their responsibilities under our code of conduct.”

The broadcaster also confirmed to the Telegraph it had “taken down all content featuring Russell Brand” while it looked into the matter. “This includes episodes of the Great British Bake Off that he appeared on.”

The Metropolitan Police has said it was “aware of media reporting of a series of allegations of sexual assault” but had not received any reports from alleged victims.

It added: “We will be making further approaches to the Sunday Times and Channel 4 to ensure that any victims of crime who they have spoken with are aware of how they may report any criminal allegations to police.” BBC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *