Mathew Masinge, H-Metro Reporter
Government has embarked on a rigorous contact tracing exercise for Covid-19 after a Bulawayo woman who had travelled to South Africa on medical grounds had her doctor suspected of having the virus.
The woman and her family have since been placed on self-quarantine.
This was confirmed in a press conference by Health and Child Care Minister Obadiah Moyo who was giving update of the pandemic that has since spread to many parts of the world.
“This suspected case involves a female traveller who travelled from South Africa to Zimbabwe on Tuesday the 9th of March 2020.
“She later received a call from South Africa informing her that her doctor had been put on self-quarantine after one of the patients the doctor attended to had tested positive for Covid-19.
“This patient is now under self-quarantine together with those she stays with,” said Minister Moyo.
The Minister also confirmed a case in which a tourist who left Victoria Falls via South Africa on March 10 contracted the virus on their way to the United Kingdom.
“Today (yesterday) the 16th of March 2020, we received a report that a tourist who came to Victoria Falls on the 7th of March 2020 and departed on the 10th of March 2020 back to United Kingdom has been found positive for Covid-19 and is currently being treated in the UK,” he said.
Two more travellers from Shanghai (China) and London (UK) were again yesterday suspected of the virus after thermos-scanners detected high temperatures at the airport.
“Two travellers who entered the country though RG Mugabe International Airport have been detected by port health officials after the thermos-scanners picked them with high temperature.
“One came from Shanghai, China aboard Ethiopian Airlines and the other from London aboard Kenyan Airlines,” he said.
The two have since been isolated at Wilkins Hospital and are awaiting results.
The facility isolates up to 35 patients at once whilst Bulawayo’s Thorngroove has a capacity of 20.
The Health and Child Care minister says they will continue raising awareness on Covid-19.
“In order to reduce the risk of the information, we shall continue to educate the public.
“We are working with international donors so that we will be able to reach out to those who are in rural areas to conscientise them,” he said.
Government is also discouraging large gatherings including churches, weddings and conferences as the Easter Holidays approaches.
Travelling Covid-19 prone arrears has also been put on hold whilst public spaces such as supermarkets, banks and offices have been called to provide hand sanitizers.
As of yesterday, 8000 people have been screened of Covid-19 whilst 80 percent came through Robert Gabriel International Airport and Victoria Falls.
The Ministry is following up on at least 1000 cases.
This Thursday President Mnangagwa in partnership is expected to launch the National Preparedness Response Plan at State House.