The second anniversary of Champion Day by Champion International College was celebrated at Chapman Golf Club in Harare on Saturday.
Champion College has come a long way since it started with just one person in Harare Gardens, and now has over 200 students.
The private college is now one of the best learning institutions in the country, with two branches in Harare and plans to build a boarding school in Uzumba.
The college’s motto is “Where Success is Guaranteed”, and the school is known for its academic strength and focus on science-based subjects.
Speaking at the event, Harare Metropolitan Provincial Education Director, Mr Joram Mupunza, praised the school’s commitment to STEM subjects and its high levels of discipline.
“Champion International College started from humble beginnings and steadfastly rose through the ranks to become one of the leading learning institutions in the country.
“The cradle of Champion International College was Harare Gardens with only one learner in 2013. But today the name Champion International College is the talk of town.
Its vision is quite broad as it has already secured 30 hectares of land in Uzumba (Mashonaland East) to build a boarding school.
“This is great and we really appreciate the efforts of the Board of Directors led by the energetic CEO Dr T Mushamba.
“We are quite proud to be associated with such excellence. Surely that is why the motto ‘Where Success is Gauranteed’.
“We are also in support of the high levels of discipline shown by the Champion learners, more so there is a healthy working relationship that exists between the school and parents to ensure that learners come out with flying colours. This is done through termly consultation days to review learners’ progress. I also need to mention the high profile of the Champion teaching staff, most of who possess relevant qualifications for the teaching field.
“Besides the academic strength, the school offers extra-curricular activities like social clubs and so on.
“Very soon a sporting activities hall will be availed to learners as Champion International College pursues inclusive education as per the Ministry’s expectations.
“My office is quite thrilled by the good results obtained at both O-Level and A-Level for the November 2022 national examinations.
“It is my wish that the college continues to produce more kings and queens. Champion International College is really complementing Government’s efforts in providing quality education to learners.
“I say well done Champion International College. It is a job well done. As a promise we are solidly, behind you. We shall keep on supporting you in whatever way possible.”
Champion College CEO, Dr Tendesai Mushamba, emphasised the school’s focus on science and technology education.
“The college is also playing a pivotal role in the promotion of STEM subjects. The enrolment of science students has risen. The college has embraced the new curriculum and now offers pure sciences starting from Form 1. Our greater focus is now placed on teaching and learning of STEM.
“The new curriculum should also help us to cater for students who have different abilities, gifts, needs and dreams.
“I will repeat an anecdote that I mentioned two years ago that if you judge a fish by its inability to climb then it will spend the rest of its life thinking that it is stupid. We were in the past providing a one size fits all paradigm. It is time we stopped teaching fish how to climb trees,” he said.
This year witnessed the following developments:
- We managed to acquire 30 hectares of land in Uzumba through Chief Nyajina to build a boarding school.
- We have also managed to get 2 000 square metres of land to build a primary school in the Crowhill area.
- We are in the process of buying Cambridge textbooks to ensure that each student is well equipped.
- We are also offering free Saturday lessons and free after school lessons to our students who are writing this year (4-5pm).
- We have installed a CCTV system around the other branch to monitor all students.
- The college has also unveiled a scholarship programme for our students as part of our corporate social responsibility programme aimed at encouraging students to excel.
- We are helping in beautifying road islands in the CBD as part of our corporate social responsibility programme. We are maintaining a traffic island along Jason Moyo Avenue between First Street and Sam Nujoma Street as part of our contribution to ensure that the city is clean
The present volume of awards presented to deserving students is from some charitable channels chiefly:
- Sayit Private Limited
- Primax Advertising
- Knock Out Private Limited
- Mr Tendai Sithole
- Baroda Trading
- Mr Cartridge Private Limited
- Climbers Private Limited
- Rodrig Investments Private Limited
- Dr Philmon Chitagu (HR Director Schweppes Limited)
Dignitaries who were present:
- PED Mr Mupunza (Harare Province)
- Retired PED Mr Kateera
- Director of Ceremonies – Mr Trynos Dongo
- My in-laws, Grandfather and Parents
- Board Members of the College
- British Council Business Development Manager (Zimbabwe, Malawi, Zambia) – MrMadzamba
- British Council Toma
- DSI – Mbare Hatfield District -Mr Chinoona, Zimsec Regional Manager – Mrs Musvipa
- AICZ President – Professor Washington Mahiya
- Chief Nyajina (Nyadawa) – Uzumba Constituency
- Headman Magadu – Uzumba Constituency
- Deputy Director Public Service Commission – Mrs Mashumba, Mrs Munangagwa
- Mrs P Jakachira (HR and Systems Manager – Speedlink Cargo)
- Mr Jakachira (The CEO of Winfounders Micro Finance and Jewel Shine Solutions Employment Agency that trains Maids for Big Chefs
- Embassies and Ministers)
- Vice Chairman of the School – Mr G. Mushamba
- College Directors – Mr Mundondo
- Mrs Kuta
- Reverend Mudavanhu
- Parents and students
This occasion would never get favourable grace if I do not honour my former bosses from the corporate world which include
- Mr Shadreck Matsvayi (Former General Manager – TM/PNP Supermarkets
- Mr Jirrie (Former General Manager-TM/PNP General Manager – TM/PNP Supermarkets
- Mr Hermish Marwa – My former Production Controller at Cairns Foods. He is now the owner of Knock Out Private Limited
- Mr Tendai Sithole – My former Production Controller who is now the Production Manager at Zimgold Private Limited