Lovemore Chazingwa in KADOMA
AT least 53 people, including students and staff, at Jameson High School in Kadoma, were rushed to hospital on Wednesday after they inhaled an unknown substance which spawned breathing challenges.
The number of those affected was expected to rise.
The identity of the substance, or what caused it to spread across the school grounds, was yet to be determined yesterday.
The school’s headmaster, Abinol Matsiwe, released all the boarding students, following the incident.
National police spokesperson, Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi, confirmed the incident.
He said over 20 students were affected by the toxic substance and promised to give more details today.
Kadoma Council health director, Dr Daniel Chirundu, said it could not be established what had really affected the students and their teachers.
According to Kadoma General Hospital medical superintendent, Dr Kudzayishe Masendeke, the situation was under control.
“We admitted at least 53 patients from Jameson High School.
“The bulk of them are students, while the rest are staff members.
“We cannot say what caused all this at the moment.”
“Already, there is an emergency response team led by Kadoma council health director Dr Chirundu.
“He is leading the investigations which can shed more light for all of us.
“On admission, the patients were in bad shape only to be resuscitated when we administered oxygen and other medication on them.
“We may have more numbers coming in.”
Sanyati district schools’ inspector, Joseph Majasi, visited the school to investigate the case.
Majasi said the provincial education director, Gabriel Mhumha, would also visit the school to investigate what really happened.