23 Oct, 2017 - 16:10 0 Views


23 October 2017

Martin Vengesayi

HARARE City have reached a record third final of the Chibuku Super Cup and coach Philani Ncube says he did not want to spoil the club’s good record.

The Sunshine Boys edged Bulawayo City 1-0 at Barbourfields in the first semi-final, with Martin Vengesayi scoring the goal.

“We lost three points against Chicken Inn and we had to sit down and reorganise ourselves and said let’s win the semi-final. So for the boys we are happy and everyone else at Harare City.

“One thing for sure is Harare City have a record in this tournament and I didn’t want to be the one spoiling it.

“We are not going into the final to give How Mine the trophy on a silver platter,” said Philani.

Harare City was playing their fourth consecutive semi-final of the Chibuku Super cup.

They had reached two finals, winning one against Dynamos and losing the other against FC Platinum.

Since the tournament started in 2014, FC Platinum, Harare City and Ngezi Platinum have been crowned champions.

Going into the game Harare City were the only side with a chance to reach a historic third final and give themselves a chance to be the first team to win the cup twice.

In the 28th minute, Vengesayi made sure they stayed on course, making a finish that left a big impression.

He could have made it two in the 35th minute but his effort was blocked for a corner. Bulawayo City were banking on the experience of Nyasha Mukumbi, Zephania Ngodzo and former Hwange star Newman Sianchali.

They however still found themselves facing a brickwall as the Sunshine Boys gave away very little.

In the opening stages of the second half, Sipho Ndlovu’s effort was parried away as Bulawayo City tried to get back into the game.

Harare City were unyielding in those first minutes of the second half, with Farai Madhanhanga and Tendai Samanja uncompromising in midfield.

In the 71st minute, Andrew Tandi’s effort went over when it looked easier to score than miss.
Trevour Ndlovu’s had his effort hitting the upright before going out for a goal kick.

Bulawayo City coach Mandla Mpofu said they were not happy with the outcome.

“Obviously we are very disappointed. It was a game of two halves. Harare City dominated the first half and we came back in the second half. The only mistake we made was that we allowed them to score but we came back a better side in the second half,” Mpofu said.

The Bulawayo City coach said they will now be focusing on surviving relegation.

“I’m not demoralised especially after the performance if the boys. We are not looking down, we have another challenge where we really need to play for survival.

“We are channeling all our efforts in that direction,” said Mpofu.

Share This:

Sponsored Links