Robson Sharuko


ON Super Sunday, Manchester City could seal a SIXTH English Premiership title in the last seven years of sheer dominance.

All that the Citizens need to do is beat West Ham at Etihad and secure a record fourth straight league championship.

They can even draw, or lose the match, and still win the title in the event that Arsenal fail to win their final match at home against Everton.

City’s 2-0 win over Tottenham on Tuesday night cleared the path for their coronation on Super Sunday when the English Premiership season will come to an end.

On the same day, another club whose primary identity is the blue colour, though of a different darker shade, will be taking on their biggest city rivals in the Harare Derby.

Dynamos have lost some of the magic, which used to propel them to greatness, back in the years when they were even good enough to come within 90 minutes of being champions of Africa.

While the change of ownership at City, which brought in the millions from their Middle East owners, transformed the club, DeMbare appear to have been weakened by a boardroom coup which left one man, Bernard Marriot, as the owner.

He claims he owns only 51 percent of the shares but the other seven people, who own the other 49 percent, with an equal share of seven percent each, are nowhere to be seen.

But, at least, in reflection of a past when they were kings, Dynamos can say they won six league championships, in seven seasons, long before City did.

City’s impressive run has come between 2018 and now, assuming they win the title on Super Sunday, with only Liverpool preventing a clean sweep in 2020.

Dynamos won the domestic league title in ’80, ’81. ’82, ’83, ’85 and ’86.

Only Black Rhinos, in ’84, were able to stop them from a seventh heaven in seven attempts.

They can also say that they won four league championships on the trot, long before City.

They did it between ’80 and ’83 and 2011 and 2014.

Of course, these are now just memories as the Glamour Boys struggle to find the path that used to lead them to glory.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *