Arron Nyamayaro, H-Metro Reporter
TWO children were on Wednesday crushed to death by a neighbour’s 5000-litre water tank in Chitungwiza.
A third child is nursing injuries.
The girls, aged nine and two, were killed on the spot whilst a seven-year-old boy was rushed to Chitungwiza Central Hospital.
One of the deceased was a friend’s minor who was being looked after by the nine-year-old girl.
The landlady, Janet Chikwaka, 40, said the water tank stand was not properly installed and the wind which blew that morning forced it over.
“The mishap could have been avoided had the person who erected the water tank stand followed proper measurements required for a 5000 liter tank,” said Chikwaka.
“Akadzimikira stand kunge arikusima muriwo ichitadza kudzikisa pasi uye kuisa concrete and this made the stand fragile when the wind blew.
“The erection of the tank was done without inspection and the owner of the tank was not present; there were only kids and we are all saddened by this.
“The mother of the two survived after she was pushed away by the water from the water tank while the boy sustained a fracture on his leg and rushed to the hospital.
“Mai vemwana ashaya ne akuvara vanga vachirukana musoro saka pakauya customer yema freezits vakasimuka vose. Achingobva ndipo pavakawirwa vakatsitsirirwa vose amai vakarasirwa uko nemvura yakabuda mu tank.
“The two-year-old is her friend’s child who had come to play with others here,” said Chikwaka.
Residents were still in shock by yesterday and urged water tank suppliers to discharge their duties professionally to safeguard people’s lives.
“We are now living in fear following the falling of water tank stands leading to loss of lives. Two weeks ago we had the same report although no one was injured,” said one of the residents.
“With the challenges of clean water being faced in Chitungwiza many had resorted to water tanks but if the suppliers of these tanks are failing to discharge their duties professionally many lives are at risk.
“We are appealing to responsible authorities to closely monitor the installation of water tanks with a view to save lives,” said the resident.