ZIFA CALL OFF TOURNEY

Lovemore Dube in BULAWAYO

THE ZIFA Normalisation Committee have cancelled plans to stage a two-day inter-regional football tournament during the international break, allowing the Castle Lager Premier Soccer League programme to continue with Week 22.

While the PSL having already released their Week 22 programme, the ZIFA NC had come up with an ambitious tournament to help in the selection of players for Zimbabwe’s participation in CHAN qualifiers.

Most domestic leagues are on a break until September 16 to allow national teams to play respective qualifiers and international friendlies as accommodated on the FIFA calendar.

Zimbabwe, without a substantive coach, failed to secure friendlies to utilise the FIFA dates and a plan was then made to come up with a national tournament where players are put in regional teams for matches to help selectors come up with a squad.

ZIFA NC member, Sikhumbuzo Ndebele, confirmed that the tourney, which had been set for this Saturday and Sunday, has been shelved.

He said a number of issues forced that decision but remained adamant that they will still stage the matches.

“The tournament will happen. It is the way to go. We want to normalise processes and create a platform for Premiership players and those from Division where they play and the better players are identified.

“Another factor is that we did not want to be seen running ahead of the coaches who will be appointed.

“It’s got to happen when the process has been finalised so that they identify for themselves and never get to say players were imposed on them.

“As the Normalisation Committee we believe this is the way to go. We are still working on the template starting with both the men and women’s national teams hoping that this will be the way to go even for juniors,” said Ndebele.

He said the selection process for the Warriors job and subordinates was still on-going.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *