JUST IN: Zim not hosting Cosafa, deal not good for the country

18 Feb, 2019 - 14:02 0 Views
JUST IN: Zim not hosting Cosafa, deal not good for the country

H-Metro

Zimbabwe is no longer hosting the regional Cosafa tournament which was scheduled to begin on May 19.

Cosafa chief executive Sue Destombes last month announced that Zimbabwe is set to host this year’s edition of the Cosafa senior men’s tournament, subject to government guarantee.

Sports Minister Kirsty Coventry told journalists in Harare Monday afternoon that the deal was not good for the country and the Zimbabwe Football Association.

“We have had some deliberations this morning and we needed to come to the media and the country and let let you some of the outcomes.

“. . .  it’s been agreed that the deal was just not very good for the country or for Zifa so we will not be hosting the Cosafa games this year but we look forward to having adequate time to be able to host a world class event in the near future.

“We want to make sure that when we do host events of this magnitude that we are fully prepared, we have good timing and just don’t feel that was really given to us,” she said.

Zifa president Felton Kamambo, however, said Warriors will be participating at this year’s Cosafa tournament wherever it will be held.    

More details in tomorrow’s print edition

Share This:

Sponsored Links